Caregiving and stress frequently go hand in hand. Devoting your life to fulfilling the needs of an older family member can be daunting, particularly when a serious health concern is at play, leaving family caregivers with fewer opportunities to meet their own needs and for fulfilling and relaxing activities. However, it’s actually very important for family caregivers to make it a point to carve out regular, ongoing time to de-stress and gather energy again, and to make their own self-care a high priority.
At Live Free Home Health Care, providers of the highest quality home care Concord, NH has to offer, we want to make certain that family members remain healthy as well as the older individuals for whom they’re providing care. The ideas below can help replace stress with tranquility, and restore a healthy life balance for those providing care:
- Breathe easier. Deep, measured breathing, as elementary as it seems to be, is a very effective means to very quickly calm tension and stress. Sit in a comfortable position, breathe in with your nose to a count of five, and then breathe out with your nose to a count of five. Repeat a few times, and increase the length of time you breathe in and out, up to a count of 10.
- Count your blessings. It’s easy to concentrate on the concerns at hand and forget about the multitude of positive aspects that make up each of our lives. Taking a mental inventory of what you’re thankful for can help immensely with changing your outlook, no matter how small the positives may seem: a patch of sunlight shining through the bedroom window, a hot cup of coffee, a smile on your loved one’s face.
- Give your self-worth a boost. Replacing negative thoughts with positive ones also applies to our internal conversation about ourselves. Rather than beating yourself up internally over losing your patience or a mistake you’ve made, remind yourself that you’re doing the best you can and are working hard to make life the best it can be for your loved one.
- Stay active. Physical exercise releases endorphins to naturally lift your frame of mind and sense of wellbeing. Although it can be challenging to set aside time for a good workout, it’s helpful to break an exercise regimen into smaller pieces and still obtain the rewards. For example, park the car farther from the store when running errands, try to always take the stairs instead of the elevator, and pedal on a stationary bike while talking with your senior loved one.
- Find a trusted care partner. Above all, understand that no one can manage caregiving tasks solo. Partnering with a reliable in-home care agency, like Live Free Home Health Care, allows family caregivers time away to rest and recharge, while being assured their older loved one is receiving excellent care.
Are you ready to enjoy a life of minimized stress and enhanced peace of mind? Contact Live Free Home Health Care, the top providers of home care Concord, NH seniors need, for more tips and resources for reducing caregiving stress and for a partner in care to walk beside you every step of the way with professional in-home care services for seniors!